Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Birthday Parties

I’ve been to two different birthday parties here in Jalingo within the last few weeks. Birthday parties in Jalingo are much different from the birthday parties that I am used to back in the US. Let me describe my first experience to give you an idea of the differences.

My friend Gloria who works at “my” internet café informed me weeks in advance that her birthday was approaching and she would like me to attend her party. I promised that I would be present. It was held at a big meeting room above the café. I went upstairs to find the room decorated in cloth, streamers and balloons and lined with chairs. I took a seat and pretended not to notice that everyone had stopped talking to stare at me. I was graciously introduced to her family seated around me and was told that “the program will begin soon”. I thought, program? What will this program entail? I soon realized that there was an MC who proceeded to welcome, “family, friends, supporters and well-wishers of the celebrant”. Then, Gloria henceforth referred to as “the celebrant” also formally welcomed everyone. Everyone was then asked to introduce themselves and state where they were from.

Next, the “cake baker” was introduced and asked to say a word about the cake. I had NO idea what to expect this to entail, but before I could wonder any further, my friend Ezekiel, the cake baker, called ME up to say a word about the cake from a chemists perspective! Oh my goodness…first of all, I don’t like standing up and speaking in front of groups in the US…it’s even worse here in Nigeria because people are really all listening to hear what the white girl is going to say. Secondly, I had NO idea if I was truly supposed to talk about it from a chemist’s perspective or if he was joking. Since I was able to come up with something chemical to say about it, I took a chance after deliberating for the entirety of 5 seconds that it took me to walk up to the front of the room. I settled on “the purple frosting reminds me of potassium because potassium has a purple flame test” and “the white frosting reminds me of a white precipitate”. People seemed to readily accept that with smiles and applause. I took my seat as quickly as possible.

The ceremony progressed with a cake cutting ceremony, dance, formal pictures and food provided to her guests by the celebrant. It was quite the occasion. However, I was told by many that this was a very “low key” event. I’m not sure I could handle a fancy one! In support of this comment, I attended my friend Laura’s birthday party this past week and found a very similar program to be followed! Oh...I forgot, there was a lot of praying too. Praying is a good thing, but I was simply unaccustomed to so much praying at a birthday party! Faith here is something that is truly integrated into every aspect of their lives.

Here is the link to some pictures from the event as well as a random assortment of others:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43972&l=d8541&id=501312909

1 comment:

Faith said...

Wow, how interesting! Good job, Carolyn, you spoke on Chemistry and cakes! I always found it weird when I was asked to preach. I don't have a preaching background, it was simply I had a strong faith and they wanted to hear the "white woman" speak. What fabulous opportunities this has afforded you.