Saturday, June 20, 2009

Transitions are tough!

I'm dreading leaving Nigeria in 10 days! While it should feel like returning home it's weird to feel like I'm leaving home behind. I'm leaving a place where I have an address (even if it is "UMCN Mission Compound, next to ECWA Hospital"), a phone number, a job and friends. I'm returning to the US where I thankfully have a loving family providing me a temporary address, no phone number, no job...yet (though I'm trying to pray with the same confidence that I used when I was stuck in the bathroom earlier this year!) and so many uncertainties.

While I get a little excited when I think about the food, amenities, and National Parks that await my visit upon my return to the US none of those things really make it seem worth leaving Nigeria (not that I really have a choice now!) However, when I start to think about all my fabulous family and friends back home I get super excited to see all of you! You're the best!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ohmygoodness, Carolyn! I want to say that I can't believe you're coming back to the States already. I guess to me, too, Nigeria seems like your home since you've been there the majority of the months that I've known you. I'm going to miss your blog posts; I hope you keep writing as you transition back! Out of our mission training weekend, one thing that really stuck in my head was the analogy they used that when we enter the mission field, we are blue, while there, we meet yellow, and when we come home again, we are green. It's a great way to express the changes that take place!
May God bless you in your journey, and may you live your last days in Nigeria to the fullest; I'm sure they'll have lots of parties for you and that there will be lots of tears!
love, amy

Angela said...

We are ready to welcome you back to the States with open arms. :) I know it will be a hard transition, but hopefully you can get some comfort in knowing you have an amazing, vast support network of friends/family praying for you -- from Texas to Iowa to Nigeria and in between. -Angela

Faith said...

Deportation is wonderfully difficult! It's always the little things that were so difficult for me upon arriving home. Like, "Yes, I can wear that." Or "this is normal and okay in the states." So many things went through my head, and in some ways it was difficult assimilating back into the American culture. As Amy said, I was green. And I guess next time I come home I'll be a rainbow! :)

You are so beautiful, Carolyn! I cannot wait to see you when you come visit and hear the real deal from you!

gods blessings!

tam said...

Something that has been told to me: try not to think of it as returning home or going back. Instead decide that the journey continues forward into a new thing.

And as always - lots of grace - to your friends & strangers who have not been blessed with the broadened experience and to yourself.

Travel safely, say goodbye well, and enjoy the ride!