Sunday, February 8, 2009

‘Barrow Pusher

I remember the days when I could turn on a faucet and drink the water. Now, I must buy bottled, rather sachet, water. One can purchase a large bag containing 20 mini-bags for under a dollar which is really a lot cheaper than buying bottled water and just as safe as long as I buy the right brands. However, it’s kind of amazing how fast I can go through a bag. I was getting tired of running out of water at inopportune times, so I decided to ask my friend, who cooks outside my house, if I could borrow her wheelbarrow to get multiple bags at one time from the store down the street. She graciously agreed, so I started off.

I didn’t really think about the image this would create. I just knew that I needed lots of water and the wheelbarrow seemed the most expedient way to do it. However, as soon as I started out down the road and saw the look on the peoples’ face I knew that I was doing was counter-cultural. Upon further reflection, I realized that only the lowest level of society pushes wheel barrows. Everyone who saw me or passed me couldn’t help but laugh.

There’s a really strong culture of hierarchy here and the idea that any white person, who is highly revered within society, would push a wheelbarrow is crazy! I successfully got the water and successfully entertained everyone that I encountered. Good times!

5 comments:

mouser said...

Just tell them this is what all high ranking americans do :0 Install a flashlight on the barrow and you should be ok.

Laura R. said...

I laughed while picturing this... but I'm glad you got the water! Mission accomplished.

I'm always breaking the 'rules' around here- "rich white people" aren't supposed to wash their own clothes or walk anywhere or take public transport or wear sandals every day... But the weird looks are just a way of life now! :)

~Laura M

Unknown said...

Hay Carolyn, that was exactly to tell you how African man respect whites. And to let you know that pushing barrows are for less important individuals. Next time call some young guys around to do that for you. They will even be happy considering the race you come from. It is an adventure really.

Lorna Jost said...

Well since (theoretically anyway) Jesus called us to live amongst the poor, the lowest, the least... seems like you are doing it the best! Carry on...

tam said...

That really is the beauty of washing feet or, as you discovered, wheeling a barrow (wheelbarrowing?). It says, "I am not above serving and loving even & especially the "lowest". I think some social etiquette is ok to break.