Sunday, February 8, 2009

Carolyn Carter: Trend-Setter

Yeah…who ever thought that would be a phrase uttered or even considered by anyone!?!? Alas, it has been brought to my attention that I have unknowingly started a new trend amongst the running community of Jalingo. Because of the necessity to run at freakishly early times (when it is still pitch dark without street lights), I have been carrying a little flashlight with me. Since I can pull the “I’m a foreigner” card here, I wasn’t too concerned by the fact that I had never seen another runner carrying a light. I simply wanted to avoid breaking an ankle (I’ve heard from fellow friends living in Africa that it’s not fun!) by falling into a pothole and provide a way for vehicles to avoid hitting me. However, I was recently alerted by my friend that if I look around other people are now carrying flashlights when they run in the morning. He’s right! Wow…I don’t think I’ve ever started a trend before, but I’m glad that my initial one promotes safety first! :)

1 comment:

Faith said...

You're so awesome! I love it! I miss you girl!