Thursday, February 19, 2009

Black-eyed Peas, Dates and Spam

There have been some other missionaries from the US here recently which has provided some people to be able to provide a little American perspective on things which I had lacked for about 5 months. Here is one conversation:
Missionary: "How do you like the black-eyed peas?"
Me: "Ewww...black-eye peas?! I haven't seen anything like that here!"
Missionary: "So you don't eat the beans here?"
Me: "Of course I eat the beans...they're delicious especially mixed with the rice!"
Missionary: "They're black-eyed peas."
Me: "Who knew?!"

A similar situation happened with "palm nuts". I really enjoy them because they're one of the few really sweet foods here. I was nervous to eat them at first because they aren't peeled first, they're just eaten. Clearly, I've become a little daring! I bought them for the people from Nebraska who were here visiting because they're so good! As I was sharing them, they told me, these are dates. Really?! I didn't think I liked dates, but I love these little guys.

My parents sent me spam in a care package. Now, I have been truly enjoying the packets of tuna, loving the vacuum packed salmon and found the canned chicken pleasantly delightful especially when seasoned with Rudy's seasoning, but I was skeptical about spam! However, there was a recipe suggestion on the tin to make an egg mc muffin concoction, so I decided to give it a shot! It was surprisingly decent! I had never eaten spam before, but I feel that it was an acceptable sausage substitute...and it's produced in Austin, MN, so I felt a little closer to home this morning. :)

1 comment:

Faith said...

You're hilarious! I thought of you when making guac tonight! Miss you girly!