Thursday, January 29, 2009

Can we try this?!

I like to think that I'm not easily manipulated...especially by students. However, I've discovered a weak spot. When students are inquisitive and propose scientific investigations, I'll do most anything to try to accommodate their curiosities. When I first came, I had to beg students to ask questions, but they have definitely come around! I was so excited last week when one of my JS3 Integrated Science Students came up to me after a class of talking about acids and bases. We had tested different fruits and household materials with a pH probe (thank you OLLU grant!), and litmus paper, and it had gotten him thinking. He came up and asked me,

"Is urine acidic or basic?"
"What do you think?"
"I don't know...can I test it with litmus paper?"
"Why don't you come up with a hypothesis first, then I'll get you some pieces for you to test with. Report back with some data for me!"

He hypothesized basic...wrong hypothesis, but that's okay! When he tested it with red and blue litmus paper...just to be sure...he concluded urine is most definitely acidic. So fun!!!

Then, some SS3 boys who were way too cool to talk to me for the first term have now decided that they're interested in "practicalizing" things. They were looking through the Children's Encyclopedia in the library and found an experiment...the age-old baking soda and vinegar volcano! They had written out the entire procedure, and come to me asking if they could try it during their free period. Of course, I enthusiastically indulged them! They created an excellent volcano out of dirt and proceeded to perform the most measured and accurate baking soda and vinegar volcano I've ever seen.

It was GREAT! They were really excited...well...as excited as 18 year old cool guys get! They must have enjoyed it because today they came back and we attempted to create a copper/zinc battery. That one was a little more complex and a little less successful, but I love the fact that they're interested and trying things! (I did put the kabosh on them wanting to use mercury. I told them it's illegal in US school, I won't subject myself to it.) Yay for science experiments!!!

3 comments:

Laura R. said...

Wow- they're really interested! That's great!

And how can you hate your mosquito net that much?? I used one for 2 months when I first got here, and loved it! Although mine was mostly used to keep lizards and spiders off me. I think you're doing something wrong...

~Laura M.

Faith said...

This is funny, I thought everyone knew urine was acidic. That was always told to me as a little kid.

Angela said...

Carolyn - you are so Dangerous Minds now! Way to get the cool kids interested in science! :)