Monday, May 4, 2009

Chinese, really?!

As I was walking down the road one day, I heard some boys greeting me with "me-how!" repeatedly. I knew it wasn't English and I was pretty confident that it wasn't Hausa, so I decided to go ask them what language it was! At first they giggled and then they told me it was Chinese because "aren't you from China?" they asked. It cracked me up! They explained that it's Chinese for Hello. I asked them if they wanted to learn Hello in Spanish. They were pretty excited about that, so I taught them Hola. They dutifully repeated it over and over again. When I passed by a few hours later they greeted me by shouting "Hola!" :)

Then, a few days later someone else yelled at me "Hey, China!" later that same day someone rode by on a bike yelling "Italiano!" So funny! :) I'm entertained, but can't be too critical because just as people here think all white people look the same and can't easily distinguish between the different ethincities, I'm always intrigued by the way that they can tell a Nigerian from a Liberian by look.

I once read somewhere that people are much better at distinguishing characteristics among people of their common race and have found that to be totally true. When I first arrived I had a really hard time telling people apart, but I've improved significantly after making a lot of mistakes. I guess I'll cut them a little slack for thinking I'm Chinese! :)

3 comments:

isuflank said...

that is outstanding! first off because one of my teammates used to say me-how to us all the time becuase her parents had lived in china, and then because with my random cultural experiences, that kinda stuff has happened to me too.

Faith said...

So true, Carolyn! I've had similar experiences, where people cannot place your race, so they just call you anything, but their own race. And yes, I too found it interesting that they knew the differences among the African tribes, but not necessarily among races to us that are quite different.

LJost said...

Carolyn- you are starting to make social studies and history fun topics... wonder why they can't do that in jr hi and highschool around here?