Friday, May 22, 2009

I Love Handball!

Before arriving in Nigeria, I was under the false impression that handball was like raquetball, but with your hand. No. Handball is like a cross between basketball and ultimate frisbee, and it's my game! I was on duty on Thursday and after the students close from classes, eat and siesta, they play games. I had the opportunity to embarrass myself on the soccer field, show my semi-competence in ping pong, enthusiastically participate in volleyball and most excitingly discover my love for the game of handball!

It's a 6 on 6 game where you can take 3 dribbles, but it's mostly all about passing and throwing the ball into a soccer-like goal. It's fast-paced and so much fun! All the fun of basketball without any of the pressure of shooting! :) It's my mission to watch a game of true players before I leave and then try to find the game when I return to the states!

(Side note: If anyone knows anyone associated with Madison Metropolitan School District, I'd love a connection!!) :)

2 comments:

Mike and Marcia Biklen said...

There are several different games called handball. There is a game of handball which is similar to racquetball in the U.S. Actually, it is at least four centuries older than racquetball.
The game to which you are referring is called team handball. It is an Olympic Sport. It origins are probably a couple of centuries older than U.S. handball. Glad you are enjoying it, it can be a lot of fun and can use a lot of energy.

Faith said...

I'm shocked you didn't discover it until your last month, but better late than never, that's for sure! Love you, girl and glad you're having fun! =)