Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Time for Everything

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, “There is time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven.” Recently, insects have really made this idea come alive for me. As the predominant irritation has changed multiple times during my year here, so has my perspective on Nigeria.

When I first arrived, the mosquitoes assaulted me in full force. They died as the rain ceased and massive amounts of dust descended on everything which eventually began swirling into dust devils and descended as a haze. Like any living being, cockroaches desired to take refuge from these harsh conditions and felt that my house was a good location. Killing 4-5 per night was common. When the rain finally decided to return on March 30th, massive amounts of flies decided to join me in my celebration. Flies…everywhere! As the rain continued, the flies calmed down and reduced to an acceptable population. However, the mosquitoes have regained their moist breeding ground and are once again feasting on my blood.

Now, after detailing these delightful natural companions that have accompanied me in my stay in Jalingo (in addition to the epileptic power, spotty phone networks, and unreliable internet), it may be hard for people back to fully grasp how hard it is going to be for me to leave in less than two months. Jalingo has become my home and like all homes there are mix of frustrations that come with the good stuff!

I’m going to miss the children screaming with shrill delight “Baturia!!!” I’ll miss seeing the joy on people’s face when they are able to teach me something they consider simple (like tossing groundnuts on a tray to separate the nut from the thin covering or knitting) but I find difficult. I’m going to miss sleeping outside and hearing critters all around but knowing I’m protected in my mosquito tent! I’ll miss seeing the ridiculous improvements of my students in their lab skills and their amazement regarding the simplest demonstrations!

After talking with my brother (who was never a huge advocate of me coming to Nigeria), I have realized that I really enjoy and appreciate living in Jalingo, a pedestrian society, because of all the acquaintances and friendships that it has enabled me to make. He has encouraged me that I think I can move to a community in the states that has many of these qualities. While that is hopeful, I am really going to miss my Nigerian friends a LOT! I’ve taken consolation during my move to college, Texas and now to Nigeria in the fact that I can keep in touch with most people via the internet. One of the hardest things for me to face in my closing weeks is that I’ll likely not be able to keep in touch with many of these dear people that I’ve come to love. While I hope that I’ve left a positive impression of Americans in people’s lives, I KNOW that their friendships, like many back home, have changed my life forever.

Just as there was a season for each disturbance, there was a season to say hello to Nigeria, get to know the people and places and foods here, and develop a love for them. Now, it is the season of wrapping up projects, saying good-bye and praying for a job and my new season of life back in the states. Someday, I hope to be back certainly for a visit and who knows what else, but for now I will enjoy the end of my “Nigerian season” and know that just as God has kept me here, He’ll be with me in the next season also!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Carolyn, your post made me get all choked up and teary-eyed! You have been on my mind SO much lately. It was hard enough for me to leave Mexico after just 4 months (and I get homesick for it still), but you will have had a whole year, so I know it's that much harder for you. As always, it sounds like you have a healthy perspective on things. Keep enjoying and living in every moment--in 2 months, you still have lots of moments to live!