Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Toilets

As I was talking with some of my friends at school today, they asked me which of the states is the "least developed" in the US. Hmmmm...I thought...they're all developed.

I tried to use the example of toilets. Now, in my house at the mission compound, the toilet is basically like a toilet back in the US (it's not recommended to flush toilet paper, but still...) However, the rest of the toilets elsewhere I've encountered in Nigeria require a bucket of water to "flush" them. Then, there are plenty to be encountered at motor parks, school, etc that consist of a hole in the ground. I explained in the US, that the "worst" toilet one experiences is a porta-potty and proceded to explain.

Now, I can't say that I'm going to miss going to the bathroom in a hole (pit toilet) with flies. I can say that I don't really think about the fact that I'm going to the bathroom in a hole with flies anymore. It's great learning about what everyone views as normal...the Nigerians and I have certainly broadened our perspectives and understanding throughout the past months! :)

1 comment:

Faith said...

I personally loved the squatties. I didn't have to sit on anything, and it went where I wanted it to. Much easier to clean, and once again, never had to sit on someones dirty toilet. My mom said it was a blessing in disguise. I agree, I only thought about not sitting on a toilet when I was first there and when I was really sick! And then I just wanted my Mommy to hold my hand and kiss me and make it go away!