Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Comedy of Cooking Conundrums

There were leftover greens (soup) from the day before, so I had told Mrs. Thomas that I could simply make some more semovita (starchy rice substitute that is kind of like cream of wheat) and eat that for dinner. My friend Helen asked me if I’d made semovita before. I asked her, “Really, how hard can it be? Add some of the powder from the bag to some water and heat it.” She just smiled.

I’ve now mastered the “off” position and the “on” position on the gas tank, so the gas was on when I tried to light the burner. One would think that Nigerian matches are the same as American matches…and they are the same with one minor difference…Nigerian matches don’t LIGHT! I’ve done some mini-scientific studies trying to isolate the faulty variable. Is it the fact that the wooden part breaks as I try to strike it along the box? Is it the tip that just maybe doesn’t have enough of the activated phosphorus coating? Is it the striking surface of the box that doesn’t activate the tip? My conclusion: all of these are contributing variables to exhausting half a box of matches every time I have to light a burner.

Since I was heating the greens and making semovita, I had to go through the match ordeal not once, but twice! I thought I had been successful when I realized that I hadn’t made enough semovita (but it was, may I add, a perfect consistency!) So, I innocently thought, I’ll just make the same amount again. Ha! I had to light the burner again because by trying to conserve fuel I had turned off the burner prematurely. Once I finally got the burner re-lit, I added more semovita and more water.

By this time, it was getting pretty dark, so I went outside to turn on the generator. As I tried to turn it on, it wouldn’t start. I confidently went over to the gas can (which I had checked earlier that afternoon) to add more fuel. It clearly wasn’t enough because it still wouldn’t start. No problem, I thought, I’ll just go buy more fuel right outside the compound. As the man was measuring out 3 gallons, (yep…Nigeria measures everything in metrics including fuel, except when you buy fuel from men on the street…then it’s in gallons…go figure!) I realized that I had left the semovita cooking on the stove…whoops!

When I returned, I hurried into the kitchen to check the status of my second portion of semovita. It was most definitely burnt, not that I could see this, but I used my sense of smell to detect this outcome. I grabbed my handy lantern, turned off the burner then went back outside to fill the generator with fuel. Once I came back inside and washed the gasoline from my hands, I realized that I had failed to cover my initial portion of semovita which had becoming quite cold by this point in the process.

Needless to say, my independent cooking endeavors are not overly successful, yet. However, I’m still going to try to bake my groundnuts tonight, and I looked up bread recipes on the internet as I found out from Mrs. Thomas this morning that I had initially misunderstood her and I can use gas to fuel the oven! I’m sure there will be more adventures!

5 comments:

Faith said...

It's easy to burn stuff here in the States! Mom says if you don't turn of the burner, carry the wooden spoon with you and don't put it down. It will remind you that you have a boiling pot on the stove.

Amy said...

Hello, Carolyn! Thank you for your post on my blog, and for your advice. It did make me think again about taking my laptop, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about computers as you are (how do you compress pics, and what's a jump drive? See what I mean?!), and I think it would only increase my frustration. Add that to the fact that I can't fit everything I want to take into my two large suitcases and carry-on as it is! I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a camping trip to the remote jungle; I WILL be able to buy stuff once I'm there!
As always, I've loved reading your blog posts. It sounds like a crazy amount of work just to do basic daily tasks--much like camping! It sounds like you're trying to keep a good perspective on things and you're learning a lot through trial and error. Keep at it; you're making a big difference there, I can tell! Your story about your adult computer class made me feel a little better about my seemingly limited computer knowledge and it made me smile, too!
Blessings to you! Amy

tam said...

Let me know when you start experimenting and throwing various leftovers from the week into a concoction of stew or whatever. You will soon be a bread making fiend.

mouser said...

Unfortunetly, Carolyn will realize that a gas oven must also be lit...
A good thing to have would be the spark lighter you use to light bunsen burners or gas welders.

the god mother said...

Carolyn...
YOU are one in a million! An AWESOME, AWESOME person!!
GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Love, Lynn