Friday, October 3, 2008

Other Weekend Happenings

I tried to buy wheat when I was at the market with Laura (I still haven’t ventured there alone yet…it’s way too daunting!) and was asked repeatedly, “What’s wheat?” We tried to explain that it’s used to make bread and that it’s a grain like rice, but all they could do was show us white flour. My goal is to make whole wheat bread, but it’s taking some time. I did successfully find yeast!

My baked ground nuts turned out amazing! They are by far my best “cooking” product to this point. I’m in the process of making peanut butter. Thankfully, the bishop’s son who lives in the house next door came over and helped me take the peelings off the baked ground nuts (which I definitely burned, but it’ll be okay) because it was taking me way too long. Tomorrow I plan to take them to the grinder and supposedly I’ll have excellent peanut butter! We’ll see…I think if I add a little sugar and salt it could be really good based on what I tasted of a friend’s, but the verdict is still out.

I was able to go running for the first time here in Nigeria over the weekend with my friend Helen! It was so exciting!!! I had missed running so much! We went at 6am because it seems that’s the only time people around here exercise and I was amazed that the entirety of Jalingo was already well into their day at this time. I had been worried to run alone this early thinking that it would be too desolate, not the case at all. I saw other runners who were very friendly (as all runners are!) and felt just as safe as I do walking around alone during the day. No sooner did I run one morning as I am now wondering if there are any races…probably not here in Jalingo, but maybe in Abuja. I think it could be so much fun to “compete” internationally! I need to get back into shape, but I’m now hopeful at the possibilities. J

3 comments:

beverly nolte said...

I hope your peanut butter turns out well. That's good protein and then you won't have to eat the termites!

Florence Mefor read your cooking blurp and just roared with laughter. She told me, "What a girl, that Carolyn (caroline) must be." You bet! Beverly

Faith said...

Yay! You got to go for a run! :) I need to buy new headphones before I go for another run. :( GL with the PB, you can always email my Mom if you want. She's made me lots of PB. :) GL on finding whole wheat too! A bunch of the cross cultural workers I met this week had yeast and wheat mailed to them or brought over when someone visited. Oh, that and tighty whities!

Laura R. said...

I'm so lucky that I can actually buy peanut butter and wheat flour here. Well, it's brown flour- not sure about how much "whole wheat" is involved...

Keep us posted on the PB progress- I'm really intrigued!

~Laura M.