Thursday, October 23, 2008

Importance of Education

Clearly, I believe in the importance of education. I grew up in a household where both of my parents are teachers. I became a chemistry teacher and have moved to Nigeria to teach science in hopes of creating positive change in a community. I believe that all change starts with education. Three Cups of Tea (www.threecupsoftea.com) is a book depicting the actions of one man who chose to further the cause of education for the children, particularly the girls, of Pakistan and Afghanistan by building schools in the remote areas that had previously been too isolated. Greg Mortensen believes that peace will only be achieved when communities have economic stability and that will only take place after the people of the region have received a complete and balanced education.

From my experiences here in Nigeria, I can attest to the fact that there is a significant difference between the numbers of men being educated vs the number of women being educated. I feel very blessed to have grown up in the United States with the benefit of receiving a strong education in science nonetheless. Many people here, girls specifically, haven’t had the same opportunities especially in some of the Muslim communities in the northern part of the country.

This book did an amazing job of illustrating how people of differing faiths can work together to achieve the common goal of education which will effectually be the only way that peace and progress can be achieved. If you have not read it, I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I read that book a few months back and thought of you the whole time! I was even going to send it to you to read while you were over there! :) That's great that it's so relatable for you.