Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas in Jos!

I am so thankful that Laitu, my friend I teach with, was kind enough to take me to Jos with her family for the Christmas holiday! Since this holiday season had the potential to be kind of difficult, being away from all of my friends and family for the first time at Christmas, I'm excited to in a new place with new things to see and experiences to have! I'm still missing being home, but I'm staying busy and have many exciting plans for the next 2 weeks. While I would have liked to spend Christmas in a village, it would have been 1-2 days of experiences, and then I would have been at home alone in Jalingo (EVERYONE has left!) for the rest of the 2 weeks until school started. Laitu has said her church will have a big cultural celebration complete with dancing and traditional foods, so I'm excited!

I'll write more about the Christmas traditions, which I feel maybe start on Christmas day, after I've experienced them?! I'm just going with the flow and taking everything in! :) In the meantime, I'm LOVING the cooler weather, parks and welcoming people who are making me feel part of their family! I am renewing my resolve to reach out to internationals when I return to the US as so many people have made me feel so welcome and helped me experience Nigerian culture to its fullest. I will forever be grateful!

No comments: