Friday, December 26, 2008

Tacos!

Laitu’s family had been asking me to prepare some American food for them, so I decided to “make” tacos since there are a limited number of American foods I feel confident making. I made 40 homemade tortillas (they were aghast at the lack of oil) , and removed the chicken from the bones (which they found so strange), I shredded some cheddar cheese (YAY!! but they thought it tasted like butter). We then cut up tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and peppers. They thought it was really strange that we weren’t cooking any of the vegetables but excited to try the new food. Without the taco seasoning spice packet from the grocery store, it really was more like a chicken wrap, but they didn’t need to know that! We packed it all up and took it on the picnic!

As I was explaining how to assemble the taco and they were practicing pronouncing t-a-c-o-s I related the pronunciation to the Hausa word for number 8 “takwas” (which I always thought was pronounced like the food). We were then all amused by the fact that we had nearly eight different ingredients to include in the tacos. Good times! The kids had fun making them and people really enjoyed them for the most part. They were definitely good sports!

2 comments:

Faith said...

Yes! Tacos = American Food!

Amy said...

Yeah, we survived our Christmases away from home! I was thinking of you for sure! I´ve learned that a taco is defined as anything that you wrap up in a tortilla, so yours were perfect--and kudos to you for making tortillas! Thanks for sharing your adventures, great attitude, and prayers! Praying for you, too! Amy