Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Abuja

I feel really blessed that I have been able to travel from Jos to Abuja! I had heard from many people that Abuja, Nigeria’s Federal Capitol Territory, is the premier place to be in Nigeria. I have been thoroughly enjoying it! The roads, buildings, street lights, road signs all made me reminisce about the US. Abuja was created as the capital 12 years ago in order to establish a more geologically centralized governmental location.

I think my favorite place that we visited was Millenium Park. It was established by the former president who wanted there to be a green place in the city that was owned by the government and could be utilized by the public. It was beautiful, clean, and well-patronized by many! It had tall trees, green grass, a natural stream, meandering walk-ways and decorative fountains. I have to admit that I did question the practicality of having a fountain flanked walk-way when there are so many places around the country that don’t have access to clean drinking water. Previously, I’d only thought about whether or not the situation allowed me to run through them! However, I decided that I would ponder the efficacy of the fountain situation later when I was surrounded by drab dirt roads and dead grass and bask in the beauty that results from nature being enjoyed by a community.

As I was being driven around Abuja was initially surprised that Nigeria has a National Mosque. Upon reconsideration, I realized that I have visited the National Cathedral of the US and that it seems logical that a nation that is 50% Muslim has a National Mosque. Interestingly, the National Ecumenical Center is located a few buildings down the same road. I feel that their close proximity in the Federal Capitol sends a peaceful and unifying message. I only pray that this symbolic peaceful co-existence can be transferred throughout the country.

1 comment:

Ems said...

I am very excited to know you are blogging aout this trip, I cant wait to go back and read your other posts! (I saw the address on Kristin's Facebook page)