Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Day in My Jalingo Life

I went to school from 7:10-2:30, came home ate some lunch and then decided to trek about 2 miles to the hospital supply shop to buy a few chemicals that we needed. Now, I could take a cab for about 20 cents, but I enjoy the exercise and opportunity to meet, greet and chat with people along the way.

Here is a prime example: there is this one location where I always see men selling rat poison along the side of the road and found it quite amusing that they “advertise” by holding up a bundle of dead rats hanging from a string! Every time I see them I laugh to myself. Today, at the prompting of a friend, I decided to ask them how long they had been using those particular rats. Well, these guys were really excited to talk with me despite the fact that I assured them I didn’t need any rat poison (but I’ll now know where to go if I do). They told me that the rats that they used are dried and preserved to be used for this purpose. (Therefore, I feel that those same rat have been being used for quite some time…they looked a little aged!) They then continued to ask me where I work, how long I’ve been here, and share the fact that in secondary school they studied arts and not science. In short, I have two more friends in Jalingo, but the day was not over!

When I arrived at the chemical store, I kind of wanted it to be a fast transaction (I’ll never learn…) so that I could make it home to watch the inauguration that I thought was at 4pm. However, I was given a seat and served a Maltonic as we figured out what chemicals he had and which ones he’d have to order (because it’s Jalingo, and of course few things are actually in stock). Then, I explained to him that his costs were exorbitantly high and I am trying to help the children of Nigeria, therefore he should work with me. We continued to go back and forth and in the process he brought me a meat pie. By the time we had agreed on prices for the materials he had and what he was ordering, we had exchanged phone numbers he had promised to come greet me and we were new friends. I had also resigned that I would mark this inauguration by conducting business the way it was described in the book Three Cups of Tea (read it!).

I walked back home with my purchases and stopped by the Bishop’s house to see if there was some residual coverage of the inauguration and was delighted to find that it was just starting at 5:30! I watched the historic event with rapt attention and feelings of excitement and hope (and a little jealousy of the 4-5 friends that I know where amongst the throngs of people present in the cold). Then, just as Obama was walking up to take his oath of office, NEPA went off. That’s right...I had to laugh…there were about 8 of us watching, they had forced me to stand up to honor the president-elect…just as he reached the front, we lost power. We ran to turn on the generator, and it was turned on just in time for us to see them now presenting the 44th President of the United States of America! Funny! However, I was thankful that I got to see the rest of the program and his heartening speech. I am encouraged that he called the American people to action, sacrifice, and steadfastness in the face of the many challenges. I hope and pray that this new administration will lead in an innovative, just and honorable way.

To finish the night, I returned to my house to kill 4 cockroaches, a spider the size of a 50 cent piece and type up some emails to send the next day. All-in-all, it was a typical day for me in Jalingo filled with new friendships, lessons learned, and unexpected joys accompanied by a few hiccups along the way.

No comments: