Sunday, January 4, 2009

Waiting with Confidence

In Abuja, Laitu and I stayed in the “mother-in-law” apartment. I went to the bathroom to bath and was closing the door. I guess I didn’t realize that the door had never closed completely the four previous days that I’d stayed there. On this day, I was trying to get it closed and it latched. As soon as it happened, I knew I was in trouble. It definitely wouldn’t open, so I decided to take my bucket shower and wait. I tried yelling out the window. I tried knocking on the door hoping that people outside would hear me. No one did. I had no watch, no phone, no clothes, but I did have confidence.

I knew that eventually, Laitu would come in the apartment to bathe. I didn’t know how long it would take, but I knew that she would come and I was confident that we would be able to get me out! While I was sitting, waiting for her to come in, I had some time to think (because after you’re clean there’s not a lot else to do) and realized that this is the type of confidence that I should have when approaching God in prayer.

She did come. I’m not sure how long it took, but it was a while. A spoon rescued me and it was the start of a new day with a new lesson!

4 comments:

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Only you could turn it into a positive experience! I love your attitude.

mouser said...

"and Patience"....I actually kept a screwdriver and hammer in my apartment bathroom in case the lock failed...I am somewhat paranoid.

Laura R. said...

This exact same thing happened to me while staying with my host family! I got locked in the bath house, and they had to use a knife to get me out! It was so embarassing... But you seemed to have handled it wonderfully. Well done. :)