Saturday, January 17, 2009

New Hair-do

I got my hair platted. For all of you who have no idea what this means (which would have included me prior to moving to Jalingo) it means to braid your hair in tiny little braids and mostly applies to Africans and African-Americans….and now to me!  Everyone had been bugging me to try it basically since I arrived, and I decided that January was the time!

It was a LONG 7.5 hour process, which thankfully didn’t really hurt as had been predicted by my Nigerian friends. I was pretty self-conscious about how I looked when I first got done despite the fact that I knew my friend had done a great job! I think I would still be very self-conscious in Iowa, but the Nigerian-me has embraced it and enjoys it! 

When I was told that I couldn’t wash my hair for the duration of the style that concerned me. I’m the girl who goes crazy if she doesn’t wash it everyday and now I’m being told to wait a few weeks! AHHHH!! Let me tell you that I had it done on Saturday, got used to it on Sunday and Monday it started to itch and Tuesday I thought I was going to tear my hair out…it was bad! However, I made it through and it’s now Friday and not bothering me at all. In fact, I sometimes forget that it’s been a week since the last wash. (Sidenote: showers really aren’t any faster because one has to be much more careful about not getting it wet and in the absence of a shower cap, I have resorted to a plastic bag…it works!)

When you check out the pictures, read the comments as it explains how the process worked.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=54508&l=a0fa7&id=501312909

2 comments:

The Davis Family said...

Good luck not washing your hair! I'm sure you can do it! Hey thanks for the card! You're gonna laugh but I've missed your handwriting! We used to write notes and stuff all the time and when I saw it I just thought oh I miss her! Hope you're having a good day!

mouser said...

Hope it's an HEB plastic bag :-)