Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mosquito Nets

When I first came to Nigeria, I was appalled by the fact that some people didn’t sleep with mosquito nets! My thought process went something to the effect of “Really?! This is such a simple and inexpensive way to prevent malaria and you’re willing to be so reckless with your life?!” I just didn’t understand.

5 months later…

I now understand. I detest my mosquito net. Every night I have a mental argument in my head that goes something like this:
“I really don’t want to use that mosquito net.”
“Carolyn Carter, this mosquito net will protect you from mosquitoes…and malaria!”
“But, you’re taking an anti-malarial drug…you’re protected!”
“Do you really want to take a chance of contracting a disease which has lifelong lasting effects?”
“There aren’t even any mosquitoes in the room!”
“What would your mother say?!”
“She’s not here…you can make your own choices…besides aren’t you sick of getting twisted in it?!”
“Suck it up, Carolyn…use the net”

The “good voice” has won out every night. However, I must admit that I had decided one night that I would do my devotion without being covered by it with full intentions of having a net-free night, but I got a mosquito bite and took that as a sign that I should keep with the UMC and NBA slogan “Nothing but nets!”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn Carter! I love your little mental dialogue. I'm the QUEEN of mental back-and-forths. Also, of the "what would your mother say" self-guilt. Stick with it---at least it's not every night for the rest of your life, just every night for the rest of your time in Nigeria. When you're sad about leaving you can add it to a list of things NOT to be sad about. :) ~Meredith

Faith said...

Nothing but Nets! Nice girl!

Unknown said...

You even address yourself by full name! I thought that was just a teacher thing...

So I just managed to find your blog after a bit of Googling. Glad to hear you're having fun in Nigeria... I've heard a few interesting stories from Mr. Haecker already.

To use your phrase... I hope the rest of your stay is safe, happy and fun!

- Alex

Laura said...

Ah...the self-dialogue where you refer to yourself by your full name. Takes me back to many "loft conversations."

isuflank said...

oh carolyn. some things never change:) thats whats the best about you! soon enough you can sleep with no mosquito net!