Monday, March 2, 2009

Ice as a Delicacy!

Ice...it's something that most people in the US have in their freezer right now...(unless someone forgot to refill the ice tray)! However, here in Jalingo, with extremely limited electricity, cold water is a treat. Ice is a mere figment of one's imagination. Therefore, when I wanted to do a practical where the students plot a heating curve by starting with ice water and taking the temperature every 30 seconds until it's boiling. I knew that finding "ice blocks", as they're called here, would be challenging so I was grateful when a friend of mine offered to take his car and get them for me the morning of the lab.

What I hadn't fully anticipated was that the students went CRAZY when they saw ice. They were basically heartbroken when they had to place the ice in the water and purposefully melt it. Then, they kept coming up saying they needed a few more pieces of ice because it wasn't quite cold enough...yeah...really they were eating it!

At the end of the day, I had one block left and I took it to the staff room where it was quickly parceled off. As I was laughing to myself about the fact that everyone was so excited about ice, I realized that I hadn't had any ice since August and I was pretty excited about it too! :)

2 comments: