Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trekking yields community

I know I've mentioned trekking before, but it has become a part of my identity here. I'm no longer "the bature"...I'm "the bature who treks everywhere". I meet complete strangers on the street and they ask me why I trek everywhere. In fact, someone today asked me if I was scared to take taxis. I said that I do take them, but I prefer to trek. First of all, it's good exercise. In addition to running in the morning, I'm able to walk about 3 miles after school too which allows me to eat all the yummy Nigerian food!

More importantly, it has allowed me to meet and connect with MANY people in Jalingo. If I were taking taxis and bikes all over town, I would have missed hundreds of conversations and have many fewer friends. People here are so open and friendly and are very interested in engaging in conversation and trekking, an aberrant behavior here, is a perfect conversation starter. I love it!

Going to the market or electronics shop is not like visiting HEB or Best Buy where the employees are there one day and gone the next, but these shops are the peoples livelihoods and LIVES! They are always there and ALWAYS ready to chat! Sometimes I'll decide to stop in for a pure water at a store that I've passed day after day and invariably they'll ask me where I'm going and why I always trek and a new friend is made!

I'd like to live somewhere that is conducive to trekking. Everything and everyone seems so much more connected that way...much more of a community!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great way to get your exercise in!! sounds fun!

Mike and Marcia Biklen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike and Marcia Biklen said...

Carolyn, you are such an incredible person of openness. Being willing to shed yourself of all kinds of preconceptions; being willing to experience things, intimately; being willing to be humble with your incredible intellect and abilities; being willing to share that with us; and much much more all are incredibly refreshing. We could learn much from your behavior, just around us here in the United States. Thank you very much!!!! Peace, Mike Biklen

AuntB said...

Carolyn, I've been doing some catching up with you via your Blog and this entry about "trekking" is one that totally resonates with me. I did a lot of "trekking" while in the Peace Corps, and I agree that it affords you so many incredible opportunities that would otherwise be missed by having another form of transportation. You're truly figuring out the "little everyday things" that I was talking about and encouraging you to embrace and always remember. Yay for you! I know what a life changing experience this is and how it will impact every single day of your life in the future. Isn't God good to give us experiences like these?!?!?!

AuntB said...

"Aunt B" is Sara Laird by the way! :o)