Monday, March 16, 2009

Misconceptions about the U.S.-Addition!

I know that prior to coming here, I had many misconceptions about how life here in Nigeria, specifically Jalingo and they are being correct daily. However, I wasn't aware just how absurd some of the misconceptions were about the U.S. Here are a few that I have found amusing:

1. White people from the US can't sing and clap at the same time.
(Now, while I agree that my sense of rhythm is significantly inferior to that of the Nigerians around me, I CAN clap and sing simultaneously!)

2. Walking down the street in the US, you are likely to get shot.
(I try to convince them that the movies are not real life. While there are murders that take place, if you are mindful, you will be safe!)

3. When you turn 18 years old, the government provides you your own home and a salary.
(Yeah right! I laughed pretty hard at that one!!)

4. There are no poor people in America.
(They are shocked to hear that there are hungry, homeless and jobless people in the US.)

5. People lose power in the US, just not as often as in Nigeria.
(They can't fathom electricity 24/7!)

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but there are high-profile people that are propagating these crazy myths because everyone tells me the same things. They don't believe me that I'm not living in a government-provided home...We all have a lot to learn about our neighbors across the ocean!

6. People in the US commonly participate in contract marriages. They claim that here it's legal and acceptable for people to agree to only be married for a certain number of years.
(Now I recognize that divorce is exceedingly common in the US which is a shame, but I tried to explain that people here don't PLAN to only be married for a short time...it just happens. They were surprised!)

Picture Update...though this the same link as previously, there are more pictures added to "February Fun"...despite the fact that it's March. Sometimes the process is a little slow!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61701&id=501312909&l=f8c53ad007

6 comments:

mouser said...

1. But can you clap, sing AND dance?
5. Ezekiel is probably working on that :o

Anonymous said...

Maybe the one about not being able to sing and clap at the same time is because of some of us who have gone over on work teams - we're a little "rhythm-challenged" in worship over there!
Great post!

Laura R. said...

I've definitely never heard the one about the government housing... but Batswana definitely believe that everyone is rich in the States. They really do think I'm lying when I try to tell them otherwise.

Mike and Marcia Biklen said...

Even given what you wrote about violence in the US, we are incredibly violent. We kill people, with guns, in church, at parties, on the street, in homes. . . . . And these are killings not by "criminals", but by people who have access to guns and have whatever motive they have, whether it be revenge or anger or rage.

When we had a foreign exchange student from Holland live with us in the late 1980s, she was absolutely amazed at the povery and homelessness that exists in the US. For her, in Holland, everyone has a place to live, food, and health care.

And Carolyn, I know you can sing and clap at the same time.

Unknown said...

haha, this post made me laugh sooo loud!!!!

isuflank said...

well, there are many contract marriages in the army!!! i have been proposed to about 10 times!