Thursday, September 11, 2008

Classes!

I officially taught students on Wednesday! It felt like it was a really long time in coming. Monday was essentially just teacher meetings then Tuesday classes began, but since I’m only teaching 2 classes. I have 1 section of SS1 Chemistry (sophomores) that meets twice a week: once for 80 minutes and once for 40 minutes and 1 section of JS3 Integrated Science (freshmen) that meets 3 times a week for 40 minutes each. This is not abnormal. Most teach 1 more section, but it is much less teaching intensive than what teachers do in the US. I’m also going to be in charge of the labs or “practicals” for SS2 and SS3 chemistry. The kids aren’t used to doing many hands-on activities at all. I found a balance in the science room and brought it in for the kids to utilize in making observations of a candle in my chemistry class. These sophomores had never seen a balance before! Overall, the chemistry class went well but there are definitely some students in there who are trying to push me to find my limits and they’re doing it subversively. I think we’ll understand each other better as time goes on. There are some great kids in there!

The JS3 students are adorable and precious! They are so excited to learn and everyone participates and asks questions. I’m really excited about working with them! The challenge with this class will be that the book that it’s based out of is wacky. As one of the other science teachers said, “maybe they didn’t really understand the science and were just money hungry”. This book tries to teach chemical reactions before learning the parts of an atom and Chapter 1 of the book starts out with the nervous system…yeah…not body systems or systems…or living things…the nervous system! What?!? I will clearly not be following the order of the book. They are working on getting me the standards that the students will be tested on from this course.

I forget how much I love teaching by the end of a school year, but at the beginning I remember again! I truly love being with students and doing science. While I’m excited to have a lot more time to plan it really is pretty nice it takes extra long to scrounge up materials to use in activities. I asked to check out the kitchen to see what supplies were available since there is typically lots of good stuff there for chemistry experiments…yeah…when I got to the “kitchen” there was seriously an empty room with a concrete floor and a fire pit off to the side…hmmm…I said, where’s the food? There was a locked little closet with rice, flour, sugar, salt, tea, and not a whole lot else. I was hoping for maybe an orange (they come on Saturday’s and are eaten on Sunday’s) or some aluminum foil…no such luck! I did purchase two candles and four boxes of matches for about 45 cents!

When I initially thought that the lab was fairly well stocked, I clearly hadn’t tried to actually conduct any experiments! J One balance that functions questionably, no magnesium ribbon, zinc powder, calcium carbide, no good alkali metals, and the iodine solution had no lid. There will be some challenges, but I’m excited about the challenge and think that I’m going to learn a lot about actually planning lessons ahead of time and producing presentable lesson plans complete with objectives and everything!

5 comments:

Faith said...

Ugh, lesson plans! Prepared yes, but writing it out on your specific little piece of formatting, c'mon! Not my idea of a good use of time!

RuthT said...

So good to hear you have some challenges...you don't want this time to be boring!

Unknown said...

Hey there! I have been reading your blog and even posted once but it zipped off into cyberspace, never to be seen again. I got your card today and was SO excited. I will try to write, I swear. Are there supplies you would like to have? Mg ribbon? Any books I can send? Let me know and I will zip them across the world to you.

You sound wonderful and determined as usual. The kids are so lucky you are there. I am so, so, so proud of you.

Let me know if I can send you a goodie box.

AP scores were OK, not great, Bio scores got reorganized this year. I am bound and determined to do much better though. I have rediscovered my love of teaching as well and will try to remember what you are dealing with when I am at school. Courses are going good, I have not done anything other than teach. My Florida friend and I are getting together for Jerry Seinfeld and an Aggie game later this month.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
I am so glad to hear that class is going well! You will do a great job and I can't wait to hear how you improvise with what you have available in your classroom.

Unknown said...

Carolyn, I just read several of your blogs because I was behind!! Homecoming week at my high school (enough said!) You certainly have some challenges with technology and lab supplies, but it sounds as though you are up to these challenges. I can just imagine how excited the JSS teachers were to participate in a computer inservice! When I conducted the inservice about how to use the library, they ALL attended and were very gracious.

I'd love to hear about your students--the good and the bad. I only got to observe a couple of classes, so I'm interested in how they respond to you without a Nigerian teacher in the room. The Nigerian teachers I observed ruled with definite authority! I tried to imagine how I would fit in, as an American teacher.

I SO admire your willingness to try Nigerian foods. This was a struggle for me, I'm afraid. I was particularly suspicious of meat! It sounds as though you are adventurous and open to new tastes. Good for you!

I could so relate about NEPA and the generator. We sat in darkness many nights in the compound, using our flashlights to journal and read by. I sure hope that you can get the generator situation under control, so you have reliable power and water.

Tell Bridget "hi" for me and that I think of her often.

Shannon