Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Offering...Dance Party Style

Though I have been gone from Iowa for 3 Sundays, this was the first Sunday that I was able to attend church here in Nigeria due to travel. Everyone was so welcoming! We were given the place of honor and asked to sit up front facing the crowd. While that’s slightly awkward it is exacerbated by the fact that the entire service is done in Hausa meaning I catch about 1 word every 10 minutes or so which makes it difficult to focus for hours. However, things got really exciting during the offering portion of the service! I’m convinced that if we treated the offering portion of the service with a fraction of the joy and jubilance that they did in Zing, the church would bring in more money! More importantly, I’m certain that is how Jesus would want us to be bringing forth our gifts with a spirit of delight in giving.

There was music going and people singing and dancing while coming forward to put their money in the bucket. This process when on for 4-5 different songs and what seemed like 6 different offerings, but it seriously felt like a dance party! Now, I was a little leery when they motioned for me to come around back so I could dance my way up to the front. I don’t dance well and definitely not in front of people, but I’m in Nigeria, so I danced! I had the freeing feeling of being so different that it didn’t matter how I danced. They were thrilled that I was doing my little interpretation of their dance up the aisle alongside of them. It was so much fun!

1 comment:

Faith said...

I love it! I don't dance either, but I would've in that situation too! :) I agree about the offering time! They get it! "Generous giving and wise stewardship are the natural outgrowth of a life devoted to Godhead, and it is through God's transformation of a person's heart to reflect the image of Christ that they become generous, as Christ is generous." --Craig L. Blomberg, Revolution in Generosity
www.revolutioningenerosity.com