Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm in the choir?!?!

I went to Bible Study at the church that is within walking distance of my house on Thursday and was excited to go to church there on Sunday because I knew that I would “know” or at least recognize some people there AND there’s an English service! (I hadn’t been to a church service in English in a month!!!) When I got there I realized that the English service is much smaller than the Hausa one, but there were quite a few people I saw from Bible Study and was excited to sit with them. Here in Nigeria, “youth” constitutes people up to age 30; therefore, I am part of the youth group! I sat with them and before I realized it, there was an announcement that the youth group would now be performing a song. Everyone around me stood up and I was faced with the choice of standing up in a group and not knowing the song or remain the only person seated in the entire section. Either way, everyone was going to be looking at me, so I stood up and decided I would try to figure out the song as I went. Everyone was swaying and clapping along with the song…not just clapping a steady beat or even clapping the off-beat…no, clapping in some syncopated rhythm that everyone but me felt quite comfortable with. Let’s just say that I did my best and now realize that choir practice isn’t really an optional activity!

2 comments:

Lorna Jost said...

Hey Carolyn - sounds like you can sway and sing with the best! Are you in heaven or just half-heaven. When does the school term begin? Then back down to earth you come! Take care and thanks for all the great info!

Liz said...

Sounds like a fun choir! We miss you!