Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bambur

After staying the night in Pero, we took the infamous "rock road" over the mountain to Bambur. We rode with 4 people in the cab (I was in one of the back jump seats) of a small Nissan pick-up truck with 2 more people in the back over a "road" that is simply rocks and boulders. However, while we were going there, since it's rainy season, it of course began to pour (our wind shield wipers didn't work). This rain in turn caused the dirt road to become pure mud. We crossed over huge holes, puddles, and crossed serious rivers in this truck (bridges haven't made the priority list yet!) After about 3 hours of this, we ended up getting stuck in the mud twice. Luckily, with some help from some other passer-bys who stopped, we were able to continue on and complete the trip in 4 hours. It was quite the experience! :)

Here's another interesting phenomenon: now that I'm hours from a big city, I have easy internet access. Yep, there is no city power at all in this area, but there's an internet cafe run by the United Methodist Church here run completely off generator power! This cafe is used for a computer training program that trains people in internet browsing, typing, and the use of multiple computer programs. These are valuable skills that are allowing the graduates to obtain marketable jobs. It's a great program!!!

Being out of the city and the presence of a clear night enabled me to see the Nigerian night sky. Oh my goodness! It was the most AMAZING view I have EVER seen! The Milky Way galaxy was ridiculously clear across the entire sky. There were billions of sparkly stars that could be seen. Prior to now, Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas was the best night sky, but Bambur, Nigeria has now surpassed it! INCREDIBLE!!!

8 comments:

Faith said...

Nice, sounds like you're keeping busy! Glad you're able to enjoy the stars!

Laura said...

Yay for Methodist Internet cafes! Do you have coffee?...because I'll have to rule out ever visiting you if there's no coffee:)
I noticed your dad told you that Jonathan Horton won the silver on high bar...I think he may be the cutest gymnast ever. And we're the same height. But I think he lives in Texas...so perhaps I should visit Thulstrup.

I should have sent this as a message instead of a comment. Now your other peeps will think I'm weird and rambly. :)

Amy said...

Carolyn! I SO enjoyed reading your posts! It sounds like you're having an amazing experience already, and reading your adventures helps me to anticipate my own! I don't think there's anything that could make the enormity of this adventure real except to be really living it; did that make sense? Anway, in your messages, you keep mentioning that "we" did such and such. Who are you traveling with? Others from the US, or people you met up w/ there?

Angie said...

Night sky better than west Texas? I'm dubious. I'm also a little jealous.

mouser said...

And I thought San Antonio roads were bad. You should take a picture of every generator you see...just kidding. The world appears to be getting smaller everyday, amazing.

Unknown said...

where are all of your pictures???

Unknown said...

where are all of your pictures???

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
I LOVE reading your posts, and I know exactly what you mean about the beautiful sky! It sounds like you are off to a great start there. We bought a cell phone when our team was there - they are inexpensive and it was about $10 for a 10-minute call to the US, probably even cheaper if you buy more units at a time. Some of us did call home and it worked just fine.
Your stories are making me miss Nigeria - I can't wait until I can come back.