Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Being Different

It is an interesting feeling to stick out so much (I haven't seen any other white people since I've been here). The color of my skin is probably the most obvious difference, but it’s definitely only the beginning. I dress differently, speak differently, behave differently and think differently. However, it’s kind of liberating. Few people here have been to the US and those who have definitely are not critiquing my fashion sense. I’ve received two beautiful, traditional, Nigerian outfits since being here and I have mixed feelings about them. I love them! They are quite regal, but when wearing them, I am definitely laughed at. Now, this laughing is done in love and appreciation of my effort to bond with the culture, but I still feel like a poser! Maybe as time wears on I’ll become so Nigerian in so many ways that no one will notice I’m not a native…hmmm…we’ll see!

Here is the link to a few pics...no time for captions now!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31478&l=bbc48&id=501312909

2 comments:

Faith said...

I want to see pictures of you in these two Nigerian outfits!

Shannon said...

Carolyn, so glad to hear that you are helping Hannatu with the laptop I brought over to her! I'm sure that she's anxious to learn how to use it. Your expertise with all sorts of electronics will be invaluable, I'm sure!

How's the food treating you? Do you like mangos? Unfortunately, I didn't, but the pineapple and coconuts were great! I actually got so that I looked forward to "porridge" for breakfast because it was oatmeal, something familiar and filling.

I'm enjoying reading your blogs. I could really relate about how you felt wearing your Nigerian outfits! I kind of felt like a poser, too. I've worn mine several times for church presentations since I've been back (although, I couldn't bring myself to wear the head wrap!!)

Take care!
Shannon