Friday, August 22, 2008

JSS

Things overall have been going well. We have spent the past week visiting all sorts of projects and villages around Jalingo, which I found out is the center of the United Methodist Church in Nigeria, greeting them as well as delivering gifts and assessing needed work. We visited the Junior Secondary School (JSS) and I was really excited to meet the principal, Jarama. He seems as kind, knowledgeable and helpful as had been promised. The science rooms seem really well stocked. They had a decent amount of glassware and some chemicals. It will be interesting to meet the science teachers to get a better idea of how much it is used. When I mentioned to Jarama that I had brought a laptop and the internet in a box, he was pleased, but reserved full enthusiasm due to the fact that he and some of the staff are not that comfortable with computers. Beverly told me that we are going to be putting on a little computer training for the staff as well as others in the area who have received laptops but are not well-versed in their usage. I had to laugh thinking that I was going to be on the other side of professional development! I hope that these teachers aren’t as bitter against it as I tend to be!!!

2 comments:

Faith said...

For real! That's hilarious about the computers!

the god mother said...

I love reading about your adventures and about the "roads" that you travel to get to your destinations. Let us know when you have arrived at the village where you will be teaching.
STAY SAFE!!!