Friday, August 22, 2008

I Miss Phone/Internet!

I really miss easy access to internet a LOT. It makes me seem so much more disconnected. I’m really hoping that once things get more normal I can find a way to get there more regularly. It’s also really weird to not be able to pick up a phone and call anyone. Next week I’m going to work on getting a cell phone here so that I will at least be able to contact these new Nigerian friends I’m going to be making soon. I am thankful however that for me the internet café is about 5 minutes away. We were talking to these people who work in a village called Zing and they are at least 45 minutes away from internet!
Update: Today I found out there is a possibility with one of the cell phone services here that one gets free minutes from 12am-4am even internationally!!! AHHH!!! This is so exciting to me!!! With a 6 hour time difference, that makes it completely feasible to call people in the US at a reasonable evening hour. We’ll see if this really pans out!!! J
AND: Mail is definitely a possibility they tell me…it just takes a while…I’m a patient girl!! J I’ll post an address once I know.

3 comments:

Laura said...

You can get mail!?!?!

YAY FOR THAT!!! I'll send you some!

Perhaps I'll even translate it into Housa.

Faith said...

Nice, only a 5 min. walk to the internet, maybe snail mail, and maybe cheap cell, are you on Skype yet? My Skype is on my facebook.

Unknown said...

i don't know how you are living w/o easy internet access, crazy! it seems like things are going well, i hope you're having a good time! :)

ps--don't know if you know, but penni & chuck are now engaged!!