Friday, August 22, 2008

Jalingo

The city of Jalingo itself is interesting. It is the capitol of Taraba State and supposedly has a population of 100,000. I think my experience at the bank epitomizes some of the dichotomies. We went to the bank to exchange money and withdraw some for the various projects that we were going to visit. Inside the bank seemed “normal” by American banking standards: flat screened computers, air-conditioned offices, everyone dressed in suits with cell phones, but outside is so strikingly different that it is shocking. Outside, people are selling everything from grilled corn to pineapple, yams, shoes, dresses on muddy, trash-lined streets with generators running much of the electricity due to the erractic “NEPA” or city electricity. Wow! How can there be such discrepancy? Is there such a difference in the US and I just don’t see it so easily? I would like to hope that I’m not that desensitized, but maybe I am.

2 comments:

Faith said...

What? They weren't playing poker right outside the bank too? In East Timor they had the gambling going on, as well as the street vendors and what not!

Unknown said...

Carolyn
I am trying to locate the Lutheran Church in Mayo Gwoi. I think it is somewhere near the UMC compound. I have figured it is on or near Jakada Street. Any chance you would have any information about its location? Maybe google earth coordinates. I am also looking for pictures of Mayo Gwoi area. I am speaking at their companion congregation on Sunday. I have only driven through Jalingo on my way to Bali. I spend most of my time in Adamawa State when I am in Nigeria. Jay Johnson Chanhassen, Minnesota.