Friday, August 22, 2008

Dinner with the Governor!

Everyone I have met here has been so warm and welcoming which has helped to make the realizations that I’ve been having that I’m going to be spending a year in a foreign country by myself easier. I don’t think I fully grasped that fact prior to leaving. Here is an example of the extravagant hospitality that has been shown to us in our first few days here: Next we went to the Faith Business Men’s meeting with the Bishop and the governor was also there. After a church service, we were invited to dinner at the Governor’s house! Wow! His Excellency Dababa de Sutu, the governor of Taraba state was so kind, generous, genuine and gracious. When we described the steep costs of renewing my visa each month for 11 months with hopes that he would waive the fee, he offered to pay for my visa renewal monthly. I was really surprised and grateful not only for the financial advantage but also for his support and blessing of my work. The Lord is showing me on a regular basis that I am meant to be here and doing this work. After discussing business, we had a political conversation which was a lot of fun. I love talking about American politics and it is so eye opening to realize that two men from Liberia, three men from Nigeria and three people from the US are able to discuss American politics. Despite the fact that everyone at the table seemed more conservative than me, I was able to speak up on behalf of Obama and not offend people, so that was a success.

1 comment:

Faith said...

No comment on the politics, but that's exciting about the Visa! :)