Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Nigerian-American Skill Exchange

I’m thoroughly enjoying the significant skill sharing that is going on around me in Jalingo! Hannahtu, our official Nigerian host through the church, is working hard with me to help me learn Hausa, which I am definitely picking up. I purchased an English-Hausa dictionary in the market yesterday, but I was confused by the fact that they said there was no such thing as a Hausa-English dictionary. I thought all language dictionaries went both directions…not in Nigeria! However, I’m frustrated by the fact that they struggle to understand my Hausa…I’m seriously pronouncing it the exact same way they are! J Hannahtu recently received a digital camera from the Iowa Nigeria Partnership and a laptop from the US. I am able to offer her expertise in taking and viewing pictures as well as how to operate her computer. I didn’t realize that my level of technological knowledge was going to make me an expert here.

Mrs. Thomas, my cook, has 5 children which drop by regularly, last night I was providing some basic computer training (gotta love typing on that home row) to her oldest daughter who has graduated from high school and is in a computer training program with about 6 people/computer while her son was helping me try to find the BBC on my radio. Sadly, we were unsuccessful because my radio doesn’t have the SW band…who’s ever heard of the SW band?! I was bummed, but he said that I could get a radio like his for only about 600 naira or about $5…I think I can spring for that considering I am dying for some news!!!

1 comment:

Faith said...

I didn't know you had a cook. CC you are fortunate!